Sunday, June 1, 2014

Celebrating the past

A big part of my life, I spent with croatian war refugees from Bosnia. They came to our town during the Bosnia war, and one of them was the father of my daughter.

That our marriage failed doesn't change the fact that I still know the language pretty well and that I still love the food and other cultural traits from Croatia. Given I was only 16 when I met my ex husband and his family and friends, I took over quite some of it. I kept my name after the marriage, given I wanted to have the same family name as my daughter and it also sounds much better than my german maiden name. And those who know my temper will also tell you that there's nothing german about it... ;-)

I always adored the prayer displays in croatian houses, the finely detailed Virgin Mary figurines they had and that mostly placed on a knitted table cloth. I've been wanting such a prayer corner in my house for quite some time, to honor my croatian family members, and while I'm not one to go to church, I surely do like the idea of having religious items to ward off evil. I dealed with a lot of evil the last few years, so wanted some good, how you'd call it, influence maybe?, in the house. I have a house blessing hanging next to the front door too.

However, until today, I wasn't able to find that perfect Virgin Mary figurine for that little corner. However, I found the right one today in a local second hand store.

No comments:

Post a Comment